Movie Reviews

In an effort to post the reviews in a more timely manner, I've created a simple blog of just my movie reviews. Let's hope I can keep current. Make sure to check Robin's World (thebigfatcat.com) for the complete list.

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

2015 April Movie #1: Fast and Furious 7

This movie leaves off where the last one ended. When the team eliminates bad guy Owen Shaw (played by Luke Evans), his big brother (played by Statham) seeks revenge.

I was painfully aware throughout the movie that this was Paul Walker's last movie, that he died during the time they were filming. I was also aware that the movie hadn't been finished, that they had to rewrite parts, and that his brothers were stand-ins for him. I did NOT want to know any other details about the movie, how they pieced it all together. Every time there was a fight scene or chase scene or explosion, I kept wondering if this was the moment where they would kill off his character. Waiting for death is incredibly morbid and sad. As a result, there was a sad tone to the entire movie. The ending was very well done. I did shed a few tears. Simple. Kind. Gentle.

Aside from that, this movie rocked. Amazing car chase scenes, amazing action, great battles. There was a great fight scene between Statham and Johnson and another lovely one between Statham and Diesel. The same tone - the fun, playful style where everyone gets along and truly are family - continues through this movie. Some of the stunts weren't quite believable but they did look cool (and since this isn't a movie where ya think too much, it's fine that not everything was 100% accurate).  I did read that they actually did drop cars out of a plane and that did help me to like that scene more.

I did feel Rhonda Rousey's scene was gratuitous and that she wasn't well used. I fear for her that she will go the Grace Jones route and be reduced to a girl who punches people and nothing more simply to fade away in a few years if she doesn't take roles that expand who she is.

As I mentioned, this movie rocked. I liked it. It gave the audience exactly what they wanted - action, fun, and closure.

No comments:

Post a Comment