Movie Reviews

In an effort to post the reviews in a more timely manner, I've created a simple blog of just my movie reviews. Let's hope I can keep current. Make sure to check Robin's World (thebigfatcat.com) for the complete list.

Monday, May 13, 2013

April Movie #2: G.I. Joe: Retaliation

Starring: Dwayne Johnson, Jonathan Pryce, Byung-hun Lee, Channing Tatum, Adrianne Palicki, D.J. Cotrona
Run Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
Directed By: Jon M. Chu

GI Joe is based on the action figure about an elite division of skilled warriors. When the bad guys wipe out what they presume is all of the GI Joes, the remaining GI Joes must figure out who tried to kill them and why.

GI Joe certainly mixes things up. For starters - the genre. It's not one single genre. It's a great blend of samurai/comic book/ and action movie. It also plays against the norm. Normally, the ones with the superpowers/abilities are the good guys. In this movie, they weren't superheroes. They were super villains  and regular heroes were battling them.

At first, I didn't like that the genre kept changing. Pick a style and stick with it. But by the time the samurais were rock scaling/propelling, I suddenly got into it.

The previews would have you believe that it's a comedy action flick - or at least a lot of humor involved - but it's not. I didn't laugh. I think they tried to play to Bruce Willis' strengths but then they gave up (or it was a half-hearted attempt).

For the most part, this movie is enjoyable. It's fast paced with a lot of action going on. I had issues with two things: Code names and suspension of belief.  I found the code names for both the heroes and the villains to just be plain stupid. Were they named by 7 year olds? Roadblock? Storm Shadow? Lady Jaye? Do these names stem from the comic book itself? I might cut it a little slack if these names do originate from a comic book. There were also many moments where all semblance of intelligence had to be disbanded. There were too many stretches, too many far fetched concepts (like a transmission only GI Joes could receive?). But I'm willing to forgive some of the unbelievable moments because it was a fun, mindless ride.

I expected there to be two twists, one involving a resurrection that never happened and another to be a family tree connection that never connected.

I didn't see it in 3D. There were only a couple of moments that looked designed to be enhanced by 3D (and possibly the ninja/samurai rock propelling scene).

I had a really hard time following the Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow prison scene. Who was the bad guy again? Who were we expecting to see in prison? These were masked characters, with one masked character pretending to be another masked character. For that matter, there were an awful lot of masked characters. It was hard to keep who was who straight.

Good movie. Very enjoyable. Liked the sweet comradery between Duke (played by Tatum) and Roadblock (played by Johnson). I will be interested in seeing the sequel, should one actually get made.

No comments:

Post a Comment