Movie Reviews

In an effort to post the reviews in a more timely manner, I've created a simple blog of just my movie reviews. Let's hope I can keep current. Make sure to check Robin's World (thebigfatcat.com) for the complete list.

Monday, May 13, 2013

April Movie #4: Place Beyond the Pines

Starring: Ryan Gosling, Eva Mendes, Bradley Cooper
Run Time: Derek Cianfrance
Directed By: 2 hours 10 minutes

Place Beyond the Pines is about how the choices and actions we make in life affect us for the rest of our life. Luke (played by Gosling) is looking to support his child, to prove to Romina (played by Mendes) that he's a good father and provider. When a bank robbing opportunity falls into his grasp, Luke latches on... and takes one too many jobs. Enter Avery (played by Cooper), a rookie cop who puts a swift end to Luke's bank robbing days. Their lives intersect again when Avery's son AJ becomes friends with Luke's son Jason as teenagers.

This movie seemed to have conflicting messages. Nature vs. nurture. In one scenario, nature ruled. It didn't seem to matter that Jason grew up in a loving home. He was following in his father's footsteps. In the other scenario,  nuture ruled. AJ didn't get the attention and affection he wanted from his father so he was taking a diagonal path from his father's life. And it didn't seem to matter that AJ came from good bloodlines.

One interjection: Can I just say that as soon as Ray Liotta came on screen, I knew what his character would be like? Talk about type casting!

This was a painful movie to watch. I was uncomfortable for most of it. Don't get me wrong - it was good. There was just something about it that didn't sit right with me. It was very well acted. The story was interesting. I kept wondering where it was all going, how it would end. It left me sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment