Movie Reviews

In an effort to post the reviews in a more timely manner, I've created a simple blog of just my movie reviews. Let's hope I can keep current. Make sure to check Robin's World (thebigfatcat.com) for the complete list.

Monday, May 13, 2013

April Movie #3: Side Effects

Starring: Rooney Mara, Channing Tatum, Jude Law, Catherine Zeta Jones
Run Time: 1 hour 55 minutes
Directed By: Steven Soderburgh

Side Effects is about the awful side effects one drug has on a woman. When the pressure starts to mount on Emily (played by Mara), she crashes her car, ends up in the hospital, and the condition of her release is that she start going to a psychiatrist and start taking drugs to help her with her depression. One night she does a very bad thing, as a result of taking the drug, and winds up in jail. Her defense is the well documented side effects - and previous cases - of the drug.

Wow. Rooney Mara certainly is a chameleon. Much different from her dragon character... And yet not. I'm not normally a Jude Law fan but I actually liked him here. There weren't that many likable characters in this movie so it's doubly amazing that I liked Jude's character and performance. He was in it much more than I expected, particularly from the previews. Channing Tatum is in it far less than I expected (which makes two movies in a row!). Catherine Zeta Jones played a very damaged character, much different from her norm. I think she pulled it off well. In fact, there was great acting all around.

This is quite a smart movie. There are definitely clues you can pick up on. I loved that there was a twist. I should have expected it but I didn't. I'm not sure, despite how evil the catalyst motive was, that I liked the "gotchas" at the end. I also didn't buy the motive. I didn't think she seemed to be that superficial. Interesting how things tied back to something else. Not sure someone pays that much attention to the little things.

All in all, it's a good movie. Not a great movie. Probably not an entirely memorable movie. Well done. Jude Law and Rooney Mara really make this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment