Movie Reviews

In an effort to post the reviews in a more timely manner, I've created a simple blog of just my movie reviews. Let's hope I can keep current. Make sure to check Robin's World (thebigfatcat.com) for the complete list.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

April Movie #5: Pain and Gain

Starring: Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne Johnson, Tony Shaloub
Run Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
Directed By: Michael Bay

Based on a true story, three body builders decide to kidnap a wealthy man and torture him in order to get him to sign over all his assets to them.

This is supposed to be a comedy (or at least a dark comedy). I didn't get that from the previews. Not sure I would have gone to see it as a comedy. But fear not. Even while watching it, you won't know it's supposed to be a funny movie. Nothing is funny. I certainly didn't laugh.  Perhaps it's because I read a quote from the guy this happened to (the founder of Schlotsky's Deli, if you remember those) right before I saw this movie. He was upset that they made this into a comedy because these three guys tortured him - and tried to kill him. What he went through wasn't funny. I don't think he had to worry. This movie wasn't funny. I didn't laugh once.

This is a Michael Bay movie, you know, as in the Transformers Michael Bay. As in The Rock Michael Bay. As in Armeggedon Michael Bay. Over the top, action packed, lots of explosions, heavy soundtrack Michael Bay. I think I have to tell you this because if you're looking for a typical Michael Bay movie, this ain't it.

Dwayne Johnson is the best thing about this movie because he seems to be playing a simple, kind guy who was wrestling (ha!) with a lot of inner demons.

This movie is a bit frustrating. Depending on how much truly is reality and not fictionalized, I don't understand how the three body builders/extortionists thought they'd get away with their crimes, particularly after they realized Victor Kerhsaw (played by Shaloub) was still alive. Daniel Lugo (played by Wahlberg) lived in Kershaw's house and ran his business. And only one of the body builders tried to live a relatively low profile. Why they stayed in Florida and lived under the same names is probably their dumbest move (and considering they did a lot of stupid things, that's saying something).

I wasn't impressed with this movie at all. Perhaps a lot of it has to do with how stupid the plot - straight from reality - really was.  It's not a comedy and it's not a typical Michael Bay movie (which, in some arguments isn't a bad thing but it certainly is if that's what you go in expecting).





1 comment:

  1. Solid review Robin. It's about 2 hours and 10 minutes, but I left the theater thinking that the movie could've been cut down by about 20 minutes. Really could have, even if I didn’t hate it for that fact.

    ReplyDelete