Movie Reviews

In an effort to post the reviews in a more timely manner, I've created a simple blog of just my movie reviews. Let's hope I can keep current. Make sure to check Robin's World (thebigfatcat.com) for the complete list.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

February Movie #4: Unknown

Starring: Liam Neeson, Diane Kruger, January Jones, Aidan Quinn
Directed By: Jaume Collet-Serra
Run Time: 1 hr 49 minutes

Unknown is about Martin Harris (played by Neeson) who wakes up in a hospital in Berlin after a car crash. He's been in a coma for four days. He has no passport or any other identification but he does remember who he is. When he returns to his hotel and meets up with his wife (played by Jones), she doesn't recognize him and another man has assumed his identity. Now Martin has to figure out why his wife doesn't recognize him or if he somehow made it all up.

I'm trying to decide how I feel about this movie. The intrigue of who Martin Harris really is - is he really Martin - and why someone would want to steal his identity as well as what the people closest to him would gain from pretending they didn't even know him - was captivating. I do always like to stay one step ahead of these things, trying to guess what's going to happen - and why - before it happens. The chase scenes were very suspensful. I did forget to breathe during the black SUV/taxi city streets car chase. But the dialog, the chemistry, and some of the acting were really atrocious.

Liam Neeson is one of my favorite actors, which is why I went to see this movie. Perhaps it was more the dialog and direction than his acting, but I did not feel his anguish let alone his sincerity while trying to figure out why his wife wouldn't recognize him at the hotel after his car accident. And while we're on the subject of acting, holy crap did January Jones phone it in. She was cardboard. Baloo gives a better performance every day of his life telling me his absolutely starving (even though he ate minutes ago) than January Jones throughout the entire movie. There wasn't a line she spoke that sounded convincing. It was painful to hear her speak.

Even though they were two strangers fighting for their lives, I really didn't feel there was anything, particularly given the ending, between Martin and Gina (played by Kruger). While Kruger's performance was decent and her character was fairly interesting, there just didn't seem to be a connection between the two. I didn't feel that she cared so her reaction to Martin's interaction with his wife at the gallery seemed out of the blue.

I read something that said this movie is a great thriller but that the pieces of the puzzle too conveinently fit together. The twist was different, I'll give it that. I was not expecting that. I bought it. It definitely did explain everything.

So... it's a good movie, just for the thrills and twist. It could have been better. I've seen worse. Trust me. I liked it but it's definitely not going in my collection. A good movie to watch on a plane. It was a decent way to pass a few hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment