Movie Reviews

In an effort to post the reviews in a more timely manner, I've created a simple blog of just my movie reviews. Let's hope I can keep current. Make sure to check Robin's World (thebigfatcat.com) for the complete list.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

February Movie #7: True Grit

Starring: Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, Josh Brolin, Hailee Steinfeld
Directed By: Joel Coen, Ethan Coen
Run Time: 1 hr 50 minutes

When Mattie Ross's (played by Steinfeld) father is murdered by Tom Chaney (played by Brolin) and the local law won't bring him in, Mattie enlists the aid of Marshall Cogburn (played by Bridges). A Texas ranger LaBoeuf (played by Damon), also on the hunt for Chaney, tags along.

I've heard two different opinions on this movie. It's a John Wayne remake. One viewer told me it was a shot-for-shot-line-for-line remake. Quite boring. Another viewer said that this version is an interesting take, a different angle from the original story. The original was showing on AMC the other night so I decided since I've seen the remake, I must watch the original in order to fully assess if I liked the remake. After watching the original, I can say that the remake was much better. The acting in the Coen brothers' version is superb, so many levels above the original. I'm sorry but for as tough and saavy as John Wayne was and always portrayed, I really think Jeff Bridges played a much, much more gruff and intense Mashall Cogburn. Glen Campbell played the original LaBoeuf and there is absolutely no comparison between his acting and Matt Damon's (Matt Damon is better). And the actresses that played Mattie - well, the original Kim Darby was sharp and tough but Hailee Steinfeld had a determination, a driving force, that I just didn't see in the original. The original actress was a little too perky for someone who was bent on revenge. As for the remake being shot for shot identical - heck no! Many of the scenes are in a totally different order and the background settings - which really set the tone for some scenes - were different. Much of the dialog was the same - but not all of it. And don't get me started on the sets. I was painfully aware that the 1969 version was shot on a sound stage. Even the trees were fake! The scenery were obviously sets. Bad sets. Cheap sets. My eyes kept wandering to the background. That's not a tree!

I thought both Bridges and Steinfeld were phenomenal. I was quite impressed with the young actress. She was tough and determined without being bitchy or whiny. She was quite good at taking the lead - from grown men! She lead the search, she stole the show. I liked this movie and it's mostly due to the gruff and gritty Bridges and the forceful Steinfeld.

So, although I risk irking a lot of John Wayne devotees, the remake was much better. Much. The tone IS totally different. The acting is wonderful. And the sets don't look like sets (it seriously was an issue with me). I'm sad that this movie didn't win anything at the Oscars. Little Hailee was my pick. She should have won. If you like Westerns, see this one over the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment