Movie Reviews

In an effort to post the reviews in a more timely manner, I've created a simple blog of just my movie reviews. Let's hope I can keep current. Make sure to check Robin's World (thebigfatcat.com) for the complete list.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

February Movie #8: I Am Number Four

Starring: Alex Pettyfer, Timothy Olyphant, Teresa Palmer, Dianna Agron, Kevin Durand
Directed By: D.J. Caruso
Run Time: 1 hr 44 minutes

I went into this movie knowing very little about it. From what little I had seen, it looked interesting enough… enough to want to see it (and not see too much beforehand to chance spoiling it). I thought I remembered that Number Four was an alien. About ten minutes into the movie, with goofy alien vibe in full swing (the pursuing aliens were all jacked up), I wondered if I should stay a minute longer or if, perhaps, I should have learned more about the movie before venturing to see it. But then the alien stuff quieted down and some real character development began. This is two different movies meshed together very well. One movie is about a teenage boy trying to fit into a new high school. We’ve seen it before – the new guy gets picked on until he fights back. But when this guy fights back, it’s a little different. The other movie is about an alien on the run from trackers who want to kill him. It’s kind of a sci-fi John Hughes flick.

I rather liked this movie. John, the alien Number Four (played by Pettyfer), is a sweet, smart kid. Incidentally, there’s another movie starring Pettyfer (are you asking yourself “who?” too? You’ll soon know who) coming out soon. Its trailer preceded this movie. I kept thinking through this whole movie, “Is this the same guy in Beastly? If not, they look waaay too similar.” I will need to see that movie (it is on my list) to really assess Pettyfer’s acting ability. He seemed a little simple, a little too reserved, a little too low-key. But that just could have been his way to blend in, in which case his style was very good. I did read he’s from England so the lack of accent was great.

One side note:  Can Dianna Agron ever leave high school in Ohio? She’s Quinn on Glee and that takes place in Ohio and this movie also takes place in Ohio. Another side note: Number Six looks like a blonde Kristin Stewart.

I really liked this movie and it’s because of the two movies combined together. I liked the time spent with John the teenager trying to assimilate/blend into his new high school. I liked the Sarah character (played by Agron), although I couldn’t help but think Jeff would be complaining about the teenager’s infatuation with film and film cameras. Do schools really have darkrooms anymore let alone the chemicals needed to develop film? And she was developing her film incredibly quickly in order to post them on her website (which begs the question: Why would she use a film camera to take pictures she’s going to post on her website? There’s a lot of downtime with a film camera).

Although it takes awhile to get there, it’s an incredibly suspenseful movie. The ending is very intense. I liked how some things came together. I loved the dog (he has lots of good moments throughout the movie). If you don’t get to see this one in the theater, it’s a great Saturday night rental.

No comments:

Post a Comment