Movie Reviews

In an effort to post the reviews in a more timely manner, I've created a simple blog of just my movie reviews. Let's hope I can keep current. Make sure to check Robin's World (thebigfatcat.com) for the complete list.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

January Movie #4: The Mechanic

Starring: Jason Statham, Ben Foster, Donald Sutherland, Tony Goldwyn
Directed By: Simon West
Run Time: 1 hr 40 minutes

Let's start off with the definition of a "mechanic." It's someone who fixes things, and in this scenario, someone who fixes situations/people by killing them. Sometimes the assination is blatant, often times it's made to look like an accident/act of nature. The person is eliminated without causing suspicion. This movie is about a mechanic named Arthur (played by Statham) who is hired to kill his best friend Harry (played by Sutherland). Harry's son Steven (played by Foster) is a bit of a screw-up who can't hold down a job. Steve and Harry don't get along and in fact, Harry considers Arthur to be more of a son to him. After Harry's death, Arthur takes Steve under his wing and shows him the ropes of being a mechanic, just like his father.

I read a review that said this movie is better than the original, which starred Charles Bronson. I'm sure to some that's fightin' words, but come on, was Charles Bronson really an actor? Not that Jason Statham will ever win an Oscar (much less even be nominated) with his acting, but even a little better than Bronson makes the remake a better film. Of course, I haven't seen the original (not much of a Bronson fan myself... I think it's the moustache) but I strongly concur. Any movie with Jason Statham has got to be better than a Charles Bronson flick...

But I digress. One thing that flashed through my head while watching this movie is that Jason Statham's characters always seem to have really, really, really cool houses. Picture the french chateau in The Transporter... until it got blown up. The same happens to this house (not to spoil anything) so it appears as though his really cool houses don't last that long. He also drives really cool cars (and bonus points for driving a Mini Cooper in The Italian Job... which reminds me - when is the sequel coming out, for cryin' out loud?). He always has a shirtless scene, too.

Okay, back to the movie. It's actually really well done. I enjoyed it. It has a pretty straight-forward plot... with a couple of twists. One is completely predictable and the other is a bit unexpected and rather enjoyable as I secretly hoped it would turn out that way. I'm a sucker for a happy ending. The movie is a bit on the gory side. There were a couple of slo-mo blood splatterings and the scene with the garbage disposal made me really happy not to have one. It all looked cool... and perhaps realistic, and that's bothersome. I did have to look away a few times. I thought the Arthur/strange woman in the bar relationship was rather sweet... and of course, there is gratuitous nudity as a result.

This movie, shockingly, has rather well defined characters with ample time to let those characterizations mature. I really relished the bonding scenes between Arthur and Steven, although it took some time to figure out why some it was happening (but it's all neatly explained).

So this is quite a good movie. A little slow to be an action movie with a lot more indulgence into character development than most. Even though the plot is incredibly simple, it's well done and the simplicity is very welcoming. When the credits began to roll, I said to myself, "Wow. That actually was a good movie."

No comments:

Post a Comment