Movie Reviews

In an effort to post the reviews in a more timely manner, I've created a simple blog of just my movie reviews. Let's hope I can keep current. Make sure to check Robin's World (thebigfatcat.com) for the complete list.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

February Movie #6: The Kids Are All Right

Starring: Julianne Moore, Annette Bening, Mark Ruffalo, Mia Wasikowska, Josh Hutcherson
Directed By: Lisa Cholodenko
Run Time: 1 hr 44 minutes

The Kids Are All Right is about a family that consists of two moms and two children. When Joni (played by Wasikowska) turns 18, her younger brother Laser (ya, you read it right) (played by Hutcherson) asks her to connect with their biological donor father. Although Joni has no interest in meeting her father, she does it for Laser and tags along to meet Paul (played by Ruffalo). When the mothers find out, they insist on meeting Paul for themselves. Nic (played by Bening) is a doctor and likes to have control of everything. Jules (played by Moore) is very earthy and touchy-feely. She's a bit flighty but once you see the two women together, you see that the reason she's a bit unstable (Jules floats from job to job) is because Nic is a strong critic. Paul is a chef who owns his own restaurant and grows his own vegetables for his restaurant. He's aloof and a bit anti-establishment, which doesn't sit well with Nic. He asks Jules to landscape his backyard and because of his attention and interest in her ideas and opionins - and willingness to let Jules do what she wants - Jules falls in love with Paul. The already tense and troubled marriage/family begins to implode.

This movie is full of uncertainies - from the characters to the plot to the ending. I'm not sure I got the true sense of the mothers individual personalities. They seemed to blend together. I'm not sure the relationship between Jules and Paul was plausible. She's a lesbian! Yes, she was craving attention and needed affection and that came from a man. On one hand, it's logical that she would fall in love with the person who was finally nice to her but, um, it was a man! I'm not sure if I saw where and how the kids bonded to Paul. I'm not sure I understood the draw for Laser to meet his father. True, he was the only male in the house and may have needed a male influence but it seemed as though he got the attention he needed from his mothers.

I did like the kids. Both seemed very nice, not at all spoiled. Good kids. Decent kids. I liked the relationship Joni and Laser had with one another. I wish they had explained how Laser got his name and which mother was whose (one mother gave birth to one child; the other mother gave birth to the other child). Given the bonds each child had to their mothers, I think I have an idea of which carried whom.

The underlying story - marriage is hard and this is how two people struggle to cope with their differences and their issues - was an interesting story. I wish that had more of a focus. I didn't see how they all bonded with Paul so I didn't care for that aspect of the story. The commentary on marriage was more interesting to me.

This is an okay movie. Well acted... although I don't think any of the actors deserved their nomination (Bening and Moore for best actress; Ruffalo for best actor). I think so much could have been done with this movie. It fell short for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment