Movie Reviews

In an effort to post the reviews in a more timely manner, I've created a simple blog of just my movie reviews. Let's hope I can keep current. Make sure to check Robin's World (thebigfatcat.com) for the complete list.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

January Movie #2: The Green Hornet (in 3D)

Starring: Seth Rogen, Jay Chou, Cameron Diaz, Tom Wilkinson
Directed By: Michel Gondry
Run Time: 1 hr 48 minutes

Britt Reid (played by Rogen) is the wealthy the son of newspaper owner/editor James Reid (played by Wilkinson). Britt likes to party every night... and not work in the day. When his father is murdered, the newspaper responsibilities fall on Britt's shoulders. As Britt steps into his father's shoes, he learns a lot about the man he thought he knew. For one thing, Kato (played by Chou) makes his father's coffee... and builds funky cars and gadgets. When the two encounter a crime, they decide to team up to be crime fighters. They pose as bad guys to infiltrate the underworld. Their antics get them noticed by the ultimate bad guy.

I'll say this off the bat - I really liked Kato. As for the rest of the movie... it was good. Well, it was okay. For a movie starring Seth Rogen (a svelte Seth Rogen), I didn't laugh once, which was surprising. The opening scene could have been better if James Franco (he has a cameo) wasn't overacting. I wasn't fond of Lenore (played by Diaz). I liked that she was smart and obviously the brains behind the operation but I'm not sure her character provided anything other than satisfying the girl quota. I think every movie has to have a female in it. The chemistry between Rogen and Diaz just did not work. I know the characters were a bit at odds but they seemed like to siloed actors simply sharing a screen, not connecting.

Some of the action scenes were great. The fight between Kato and Britt seemed forced. The scene itself was good (good fighting) but what led up to the fight seemed too simple. Just a short scene ago, the two were calling each other "brother." And suddenly they hate it each. Too quick. Not enough angst. I also had some issues with the end chase scene that ends at the newspaper. So... no one scattering about in the office would put two and two together that the Green Hornet, who just happened to want to publish a scandal, was Britt, the man who would know how to get that published? Very odd.

Long before this movie even started filming, I read that Seth Rogen was sliming down for the roll. His personal trainer kept making him puke. He said he felt like a sell out. He looked good. And then I found it interesting that he was a producer of the movie. So... he had some say in whether or not he needed to drop some weight for the roll, right? He could have been a chubby Green Hornet. It was Kato with the fighting skills.

Decent movie. Loved the end scene where someone gets shot... and then how it gets resolved. That was funny. I will have to see the second one, the one that was strongly alluded to at the end. Maybe that one will be funnier. I hope Seth Rogen stays slim. He looked good.

No comments:

Post a Comment