Movie Reviews

In an effort to post the reviews in a more timely manner, I've created a simple blog of just my movie reviews. Let's hope I can keep current. Make sure to check Robin's World (thebigfatcat.com) for the complete list.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

February Movie #1: The Grey

Starring:  Liam Neeson, Dallas Roberts, James Badge Dale, Dermot Mulroney
Directed By: Joe Carnahan
Run Time: 1 hour 57 minutes

The Grey is about how a group of oil workers try to survive after a plane crash in Alaska. While their injuries, the frigid weather, and the lack of food and supplies are all daunting enough, they also must battle a pack of wolves.

This is an incredibly quiet movie. This is done for effect. It helps to pull you into the wilderness, pull you into the waiting, the anticipation of when the wolves would attack. Ears straining to pick up sounds of the predators. I couldn't help but feel cold while watching e movie, hearing the wind howling. Even my movie blanket couldn't help me feel warm. It was strange how much the movie made you feel what they were showing - the cold, the quiet, the fear. I did have issues that the wolves came at opportune moments - when someone had fallen behind or fallen at all. Loved the ending, although oddly, it frustrated me.

I didn't even think that about the fact that this movie is about hunting wolves and wolves who hunt. You'd think that I, the animal lover and vegetarian would have focused more on that when I decided to see this movie. Ah, but the lure of Liam Neeson blinded me to the fact that there would be wolves getting hurt in this movie. There was one scene that bothered me when they cooked the wolf. I get it why they were doing it - both for food and as a message - but it was still disturbing (everything that happened in that scene). I did wonder how the wolves would react if someone was NICE to the wolves instead of fearful - "Hey, puppy! You're a good dog, aren't you?"  My time at the cat shelter has taught me that the ones at growl at you react best with kind words. It's amazing. I know they don't exactly understand what you're saying but a little kindness - in a kind, respectful tone - does wonders for a threatened animal. I guess it would have been a different movie if I had been in it...

I thought the letter writing scene was during his survival time, not before. It didn't strike me as sweet or heart-wrenching until the end. Then I got it.

Why is it that there's always that rebel guy who fights the leader? Someone has to lead. Someone has to follow. That's how you survive. I know I don't have survival skills. You would think that those guys would have a better inkling of how to survive in the cold, since they're in the tundra themselves. Apparently they never embraced their environment, like walking zombies. For as cold as it sounded and looked, I did find it interesting the number of times these guys had skin exposed. And the fact that they didn't think to bring extra clothes. Fall in the water, die. A survivalist would know that.

It's a good movie. It plays on your senses well. Not one I'd own but good. I still feel cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment