Movie Reviews

In an effort to post the reviews in a more timely manner, I've created a simple blog of just my movie reviews. Let's hope I can keep current. Make sure to check Robin's World (thebigfatcat.com) for the complete list.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

January Movie #1: Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol

Starring: Tom Cruise, Jeremy Renner, Simon Pegg, Paula Patton
Directed By: Brad Bird
Run Time: 2 hours 12 minutes

After being blamed for a bombing at the Kremlin, IMF operative Ethan Hunt (played by Cruise) is disavowed. He bands together with other disavowed agents to clear his name and prevent another attack.

Can anyone say "live action Incredibles" (Brad Bird directed that animated movie).


The plot seemed a little 1980s (the big, bad, evil Russians). I suppose the Iran/Afghan/Muslim angle has been done to death.

I liked it. Not as good as the first one, indeed, but that also has something to do with the fact that I appreciated Tom Cruise's acting back then and now I just loathe him (and subsequently steer clear of anything with him in it). Perhaps there is too much hype behind how good this movie is but I expected it to be better. Of course, Tom Cruise is in it so it can't be that good. I detest Tom Cruise and nothing says overacting more than a scene with Tom Cruise running in it. Wow. I could almost hear him think, "act like you're running." I could hear him acting while he was running! Ugh. But I digress. A lot of good action sequences. Very fun. I did not like the emotional backstory to Ethan Hunt with his wife (I missed 2 & 3) but I did like the emotional backstories to the other characters. I really liked Jane - smart, tough, had heart. I loved Simon Pegg but I think they held him back. He can be very funny. I also loved Jeremy Renner. What's not to love?

No comments:

Post a Comment