Movie Reviews

In an effort to post the reviews in a more timely manner, I've created a simple blog of just my movie reviews. Let's hope I can keep current. Make sure to check Robin's World (thebigfatcat.com) for the complete list.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

February Movie #2: My Week with Marilyn

Starring:  Michelle Williams, Eddie Redmayne, Kenneth Branagh, Julia Ormond, Judi Dench, Dominic Cooper, Emma Watson
Directed By:  Simon Curtis (II)
Run Time: 1 hour 36 minutes

My Week with Marilyn is a recount of the behind-the-scenes turmoil between Sir Laurence Olivier and Marilyn Monroe (played by Williams) during the shooting of the movie The Prince and the Showgirl. Olivier (played by Branagh) is frustrated with Marilyn's demands, behavior, approach to acting, and her performance. He enlists the aid of his assistant Colin (played by Redmayne). Colin spends time with Marilyn and gets drawn into her world.

I thought this movie was very good. I was most impressed with Michelle Williams' performance. Her portrayal of Marilyn was wonderful. She embodied Marilyn without mimicking or copying Marilyn, a la Jamie Foxx as Ray Charles in Ray. I think Michelle should have won the Oscar for Best Actress. She was wonderful! I found it interesting how I did not know Emma Watson was in this movie. Her performance is a bit understated, but effectual.

This movie flows well. It's interesting.

Some of my non sequitur thoughts: I liked how they changed the movie title (the one in the movie). It's much more enticing to see the Prince and the Showgirl vs the Sleeping Prince (the original title to Marilyn/Olivier's movie). I didn't know Vivienne Leigh and Olivier were married. Interesting remark Vivienne made: "I'm 43. Pretty soon no one will love me." Huh. I guess I don't have much time left. Also interesting line in the movie: "He's a great actor trying to make this Hollywood movie; you're a Hollywood actress trying to be a great actor. This film won't help either of you."

No comments:

Post a Comment