Movie Reviews

In an effort to post the reviews in a more timely manner, I've created a simple blog of just my movie reviews. Let's hope I can keep current. Make sure to check Robin's World (thebigfatcat.com) for the complete list.

Monday, May 14, 2012

October Movie #7: Real Steel

Starring: Hugh Jackman, Dakota Goyo, Evangeline Lilly
Directed By: Shawn Levy
Run Time: 2 hrs 7 mins

Real Steel(although I keep wanting to type Real Steal, which would be a different movie) is the less entertaining version of the game Rock'Em, Sock'Em Robots from the 80s. Well, that may not be the official version of the description but it's certainly my take. This movie is set in the future, where robots box. Part of the skill lies with the robot, part of the skill lies with the handler, and part of the skill lies with the robot designer - was the robot designed to think/react/learn?

I'm not sure if I like this movie. I didn't hate it. I love  Evangeline Lilly's character. She was a great moment for the movie whenever she was in screen. Not sure how I felt about the other two characters Charlie (played by Jackman) and Max (played by Goyo). At times I thought they were believable. More times than not, I thought they were over acted. They repeated their lines a lot - "I can't, I can't" - as if repeating them made them more believable. So many plot points are predictable. I hate that. Why do we get so attached to robots? They're not real or alive. Like Bumblebee from Transformers and now Atom from Real Steel. I suppose I do have an attachchment to my iPad but it can be replaced if destroyed. I wanted there to be some sort of trick (like a human in a robot suit) for Zeus, the bad robot. Overall, it's a decent movie. A rainy day movie. Probably will not have longevity. It's kind of boring. It's a good 45 minutes before the kid gets his robot.

One side note: For a futuristic movie set a good 20 years into the future, why do the cars look like the cars of today?

No comments:

Post a Comment