Movie Reviews

In an effort to post the reviews in a more timely manner, I've created a simple blog of just my movie reviews. Let's hope I can keep current. Make sure to check Robin's World (thebigfatcat.com) for the complete list.

Monday, May 14, 2012

November Movie #1: Margin Call


Starring: Kevin Spacey, Paul Bettany, Jeremy Irons, Zachary Quinto, Penn Badgley, Simon Baker, Mary McDonnell, Demi Moore, Stanley Tucci
Directed By: J.C. Chandor
Run Time: 1 hr 47 mins

Don't worry if you've never heard of this one. I don't think I ever saw a preview for it, either. Everyone that I talked to prior to the movie had never heard of it. I went because it was showing at the time that I like to see movies. Plus, it had Kevin Spacey and Stanley Tucci in it (which I read just moments before seeing it). Ah, my streak of seeing obscure Stanley Tucci movies continues (and by that I mean, by some pure stroke of luck, not because I planned to see a Stanley Tucci movie).

Margin Call is the behind-the-scenes look at what caused the stock market crash of 2008. I won't go into more details because they flew over my head. Stock markets. Hedge funds. Over-leveraged securities. Think of Wall Street meets Up in the Air meets Grapes of Wrath.

Despite the fact that I hadn't heard of this movie, I did like it. It was a good movie. I could not believe how many people were in this! My random thoughts: Interesting sound ending. The digging ditches reference is visualized with the grave digging scene, and ties not only the dog but for everyone involved. Scary situation for the Sullivan (played by Quinto) in the boardroom. He was very well composed considering the amount of titles (CEO, CFO, etc) that were in the room! Interesting that Dale (played by Tucci), after just losing his job, still had the presence of mind - and heart - to warn someone about the a report he was running, and what it might mean for the company.

No comments:

Post a Comment