Movie Reviews

In an effort to post the reviews in a more timely manner, I've created a simple blog of just my movie reviews. Let's hope I can keep current. Make sure to check Robin's World (thebigfatcat.com) for the complete list.

Monday, May 14, 2012

November #3: In Time

Starring: Justin Timberlake, Amanda Seyfried, Olivia Wilde, Cillian Murphy, Johnny Galecki
Directed By: Andrew Niccol
Run Time: 1 hr 39 mins

In Time takes place in the future where you stop aging at 25, and, if you don't earn any "money", means you die a year later. We're all born with 26 years of life; if you want to live longer, you need to earn "money" (or time). To be wealthy means you have immortality. To be poor means you slave away, earning a minute to live a minute.

Makes you think about what you'd give up if everything was measured in time. I'll bet you'd live a couple of walking minutes away from the office. Wouldn't want to waste time sitting in traffic. I wonder how much my Mini would cost in years. And you'd have to shop for groceries every day because you wouldn't want to waste food. Understandable that that there were no fat people. The weird premise about the movie - that you don't age after 25 - was creepy. How did they break the news to Olivia Wood that she'd be playing Justin Timberlake's mom? You gotta think that she had to doubt how old she looked. As I was driving home after the movie, I couldn't help but think that if this movie's premise and a bit from The Fifth Element blended together (where you automatically lose points from your license for any traffic infraction) that people would live life differently, that traffic wouldn't be as bad if it cost you time off your life... People would actually stop at stop signs and pay attention to their driving! Wow.

This movie isn't bad. I had a hard time deciding what to make of it. It's not bad. I watched an At the Movies review that said this movie raises a lot more questions that it answered but I'm not certain there were that many open questions. The reviewers wanted to know why no one had a cell phone (and thought that several moments could have been alleviated if someone did have a cell phone). Would you want to take a minute off your life to text someone? And if you only had a few minutes to live, would you rather run to find someone to give you a minute or would you waste that minute calling someone? I did wonder why those in New Greenwich didn't go in the ocean. Bungee jumping, I understand (why they wouldn't do something so dangerous), but not swimming in the ocean. What's dangerous about that? And how could people who were scraping by get from the ghetto to New Greenwich with a little over a year of time on them (when it costs close to 2 years)(at the end)?

The concept is very interesting. I think the movie was fairly well done. Justin Timberlake is a decent actor but I don't think he pulled off a pivotal sad scene well. I wasn't that convinced about his grief. I must say that I was a little creeped out by Olivia playing Justin's mother. I couldn't help but think he was attracted to his own mother.

One note: This movie has been out for two weeks, I think, and there were three other people in the audience. If Justin Timberlake can't draw in the 20-something crowd, I think the word must have gotten out that this isn't as wonderful as it could be. Or Justin Timberlake doesn't draw in the sci-fi crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment